I rarely watch television, and when I do, it's at the awkward time in the afternoon when no show worth watching is on. So I select mtv and settle down for some good, brain-sucking fun. My dad gets on my case every single time he sees me do that, and lectures me about how there are more intelligent things I could be watching, that all the girls are sluts and have no brains, and that it disappoints him to see me watching such things. Okay, fine. That's a perfectly valid point. But today (or was it yesterday at 2 am while sewing a grecian dress for toga day?) I had a revelation of sorts. I don't know if anyone other than me can comprehend how blown away I was by the revelation. I'm probably just stupid/ simple-minded, or was very tired, but:
Take "My Super Sweet Sixteen"; the kids are absolute divas, and have movie premieres to invite guests to their parties, have their faces plastered all over the walls, etc. It's the paragon of egotism, and sometimes nauseating. But at the same time, it's incredibly beautiful and inspiring. I mean, a relatively short time ago, humanity was a huddling, wretched homogenous mass, with no individuality treasured, probably apart from some royalty and a couple leaders here and there. Over the years, we've evolved and changed the world so much that it's indoctrinated in each child from birth that they are special and unique and have gifts to offer the world that no one else has. From that big group of nothings has evolved this civilization where young teenagers get to proclaim to be the very center of the universe and expect everyone to think the same. Isn't that beautiful? Disgusting, yes, in terms of MTV, but the idea itself is awe-inspiring, I think. It almost makes me happy to be human. The very fact that I even think that my thoughts are important enough to post them on this blog is fascinating, and I love it.
So now when my dad screams at me, I've got a legitimate point to offer. Haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment