Monday, November 16, 2009

The Flying Tomato


I've always had a thing for redheads, for some reason. About four years ago, at the time of the 2006 Winter Olympics, I fell in love at first sight. With whom, you may ask? With Shaun White, adorable snowboarder/surfer/skater from SoCal with X-Games and Olympics medals under his belt, Olympics favorite and sweetheart of the press (who were aware of all the teenage girls swooning over him). I stood in my mom's office, and swore to my parents that somehow, in four years, when I was a junior in high school (it seemed so far away at the time), I would go to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and bask in the glory that was Shaun White.

I'm not gonna lie, I sort of forgot about him recently after spending 3-ish years obsessing over him. But I looked him up again, and fell in love with him all over again. Dear god, I totally forgot to mention this important fact: I learned to snowboard on a mountain he rode on, which I think is a clear indication that fate decided we were meant to be together.

Anyway, I just realized that the 2010 Winter Olympics were just around the corner, and it had totally slipped my mind. Did you know the torch relay has already started? And with a sinking heart I realize that even though I can afford Olympic tickets to the men's halfpipe event and a plane ticket, I'm probably not even legally allowed to purchase a plane ticket. And I'd probably have to live on the street were I to go anyway because of the fact that hotels were booked out 10 years ago. The middle school-me is sobbing on the inside.

I love the Olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment