Guilty pleasure of the month: The Avett Brothers
I've recently been finding myself subconsciously leading a battle against my Q100-loving self to immerse myself in more high-brow music, but it has not been faring well. Although I think The Avett Brothers are a far cry from Miley Cyrus's yelp-songs, they're not quite the high-brow experimental musical artistry that I've recently been exposed to.
However, they're not exactly your typical acoustic guitar indie group, either. I shun country music (minus Taylor Swift; damnit, Q100), and I suppose the Avett Brothers might share a sliver of their style with the country music circle in the great Venn Diagram of Music. If remember correctly, the two brothers are from South Carolina, and you can hear faint southern twangs in their songs if you listen closely. I loved their song I got from the NPR SXSW sampler cd I got free off itunes (St. Joseph's), but I realized that they were the same band that that one chick at GHP always played while we scrutinized our own faces with a charcoal stick in our hands.
The ballerina who always had a snotty air about her who I couldn't bring myself to hate because she had a good taste in music and dress. Anyway, she would play them all the time. So right now my addiction is "Second Gleam", their more recent album.
"News came of a child born unto this world of people demented and wild. I will stay here for you, my love.
Above: A piece by Harry, who also approved of this band.
No comments:
Post a Comment